U Panny Marie (At Virgin Mary) (Štramberk)

At Virgin Mary (482 MAMSL)
Earlier, people lived and farmed in the countryside. It gave them their livelihood. They used every piece of land. The surroundings of Štramberk was full of fields. Where there was nothing to sow or plant, pastures incurred on dry stony slopes. In the valley of Sedlnická and Bařinka, the fertile alluvial soils belonged to the landlords. Others had to cultivate all the land that could be crops. Municipal pastures were mostly at Castle Hill, at the upland plateau Kotouč or above the current Kamenárka.

The land on the slopes is poor and rocky and there is little soil. When it rains, the water takes the soil away. Landlords therefore secured their land with an ingenious system of terraces, paved "dry" with brick stone walls. It was easier to cultivate fields on the terraces. After the changes in the 1950s, the cultivation of agricultural terraces was gradually dropped. Part of the land was forested, the rest dilapidated and overgrown with self-seeded trees.

Memorable lime tree at Virgin Mary
The Small-leaved Lime has been protected as an important dominant feature of the local landscape since 2006, measuring 18 meters with a circumference of 247cm at this time. A beautiful view of Castle Hill and the historic square can be seen from the lime tree. The columnar sandstone sculpture of the Virgin Mary dates back to 1861. This sculpture along with the grown lime tree providing shade used to be a place for relaxation and meditation at work in the surrounding fields in the past.