At the time when the technical revolution culminated, not only factories were built but also beautiful villas of their owners or even churches and schools. People first built a church in the place of today's Masaryk Square. Then houses grew up around and a park was founded.
Masaryk Square (331 MAMSL)
The Municipal committee decided to set up the square in Kopřivnice in September 1910 and the plan was implemented in the fall of 1922. A situational sketch of Masaryk Square and its surroundings was developed by the factory engineer Edward Kohn. At the same time, the municipality decided to build two two-story houses by the square. Their construction was awarded to the company Grossmann and Jandl of Moravian Ostrava and Edward Burian of Kopřivnice. Příbor's gardener Adolf Kalmus made the adjustment and planting of a park in 1924. Construction of the square took place as part of a wider action of the land for sale, which the municipality received from the Archbishopric of Olomouc. The houses around the square were built within two years and behind the track within five years.
The Old yeomanry
The Old yeomanry is one of the oldest feudal monuments. Today, only the ground floor of the Classical building was preserved, its internal architecture with many vaulted ceilings reminds of times long past. The founder of the earthenware factory, Ignác Raška, was born in the old yeomanry in 1786.
Catholic House was built between 1913 - 1914 and was used by Catholic associations to organize public performances.
Church of St. Bartholomew
The Church of St. Bartholomew was built in the neo-Gothic style between 1893 - 1894. The so called "Christian's cross" stands in front of the church at roadside. People raised money amongst themselves to build the Church of St. Bartholomew. A local credit union and the Archbishop of Olomouc also donated a part of the funds. Construction works began in April, 1893 and the new church was under a roof in the winter of that year.
The Municipal school was built between 1909 - 1910. The Monument to the fallen - sculpture of blacksmith stands in front of the school. It was made by Josef Kubíček in 1931.
Sculpture of T. G. Masaryk
The foundation stone of the statue was laid in 1925, on the day of the 75th birthday of president T.G. Masaryk. August 12, 1928, the statue was unveiled with the large participation of citizens. After the occupation by the Germans in autumn 1938, the statue was taken to Kojetín and was lost during the war. The current sculpture of the first Czechoslovak president Tomáš Garrigue Masaryk, which stands almost in the middle of the square, was a gift from the town of Nitra in 1947.
T. G. Masaryk (1850–1937) influenced not only the fate of the entire nation, but also the fate of Lachian and Wallachian towns and their citizens. His dual parliamentary candidacy for our region in the Austrian Imperial Council (constituency was formed by Bojkovice, Bystřice pod Hostýnem, Kopřivnice, Krásno nad Bečvou, Nový Jičín, Příbor, Rožnov pod Radhošťem, Štramberk, Valašské Klobouky, Valašské Meziříčí, Vizovice, Vsetín, Zlín) is a little known chapter of Masaryk's political activity between the years 1907 and 1911.
Kachlovka (Factory for earthenware)
In 1812, Ignác Raška established a factory for earthenware. The factory produced the first folk pottery, later white glazed stoneware and from the 1880s richly decorated faience, which was exported to Germany, England or to America. Later, ceramic stoves and facing tiles were manufactured there. The factory was abolished in 1962. Kachlovka was the first industrial company in Kopřivnice.
In the preserved building in the eastern wing of the factory, the famous painter and illustrator Zdeněk Burian was born to the family of an important Kopřivnice architect Eduard Burian on February 11, 1905. His work includes over 14,000 drawings and paintings. He illustrated more than 600 books and 550 magazine stories.
Pieces of the Šostýn Castle got up here. Stone, from which a new factory was built in 1844, came partly from its ruins.