The first written record of the town appeared in the scroll of the Moravian margrave Přemysl. It dates back to 12th December 1251. Příbor, with its parish church and Cistercian monastery became the administrative, economic and cultural centre and belonged to the administration of the bishops of Olomouc. Příbor became famous as a centre of education in north Moravia. A Piarist college with its grammar school and a teachers' institute were located here. This historical town was designated a municipal preserve.